- 1 cup of sabudana (sago)
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts crushed/grounded into a powder
- 2 tbsp oil or ghee
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1-2 green chillies chopped
- 1 cup of cubed Raw potatoes (one big potato)
- 1 teaspoon salt (as needed)
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon saunf (fennel seed)
- 6-8 Curry leaves (optional)
- 1-2 tsp sugar
- 1 teaspoon of lemon/lime juice
- In a big bowl add the sabudana’s and then pour 3-4 cups of water.
- Wash the sabudana’s properly and drain the water repeat this step one more time.
- Then pour 2-3 cups of water and soak them for 30 minutes and drain the water completely.
- Then, keep aside for 6-8 hours or until they are softened if you feel they still hard, then put a few drops of water and then keep aside for 1-2 hours (if you want to make them in the morning then soak them overnight).
- check a sabudana using your thumb and your finger you should be able to press a sabudana and it should get mashed easily. then the sabudana’s is ready to cook.
How to make sabudana khichdi
- Heat oil or ghee in the pan.
- Then add cumin, saunf, and then saute till it turns aromatic then add the green chills and curry leaves.
- Add the cubed potatoes and then sprinkle a little bit of salt.
- When the potatoes are cooked add half of the peanut powder.
- Saute for 1 minute.
- Mix together the sabudana’s, another remaining half of the peanut powder, salt, sugar, red chillies powder.
- Turn the heat to low and then add the sabudana’s to the pan, saute it then cover for 2-3 minutes and repeat the same step 1-2 times.
- Check if the sabudana’s are not white and another colour except white then it is cooked properly.
- Turn flame/stove off and squeeze the lemon juice and put some coriander leaves.
- Serve sabudana khichdi with yogurt (Optional).
Do not overcook the sabudana, or they might turn out sticky.
If you like sweet and sour put little more sugar and squeeze some more Lemon/Lime juice.
Sabudana is available in some varieties (E.g Small, Big, etc…) there are some that are socked 4-6 hours and take more time to be soaked.